Monday, July 5, 2010

"Though the Sawgrass"

As I make my way to the lake with paper and pen in hand, down the little hill behind my dorm. Through the itchy, sharp grass, toward where I always sit. Sitting here on the sand makes my thinking process much clearer. I enjoy reading out here with the sound of soft waves. It’s wet now and the rain has made the water level rise causing the rock I would always sit on to become submerged. Yet this didn’t stop my writing, I looked for another place to sit. The lake is calm today and dark, the weather is very gloomy, there’s not even any boats out. All I hear is the chirping of birds in the distance hidden among the sawgrass. The lake isn’t still but as the wind blows across, it forms small waves that gently move the algae I was looking at. I poke it, feeling its warm gooey texture. The sand feels wonderful between my toes, it’s so mushy and familiar. I wish I could smell the lake today, but my allergies got the best of me while I was away back at home. All I can smell though is the bug spray, I put on before I came out here and eww I just tasted the bug spray that was nasty, I hate when that happens, now the taste is stuck in my mouth. As I let that moment pass, I look into the water that the little fish making bubbles along the top, while searching for some food along the algae. Then my focus changes to the water bugs their odd shaped bodies just zipping along the top of the water like miniature speed boats. Though I want to stay in this tranquil place the clouds over head are dark, I better get out of here before I get caught in this downpour. I love to sit here and do my homework assignments and read, but I know I’ll be back soon.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,
    I thought your observation was really well written. I agree with you entirely on how easy it is to think out there, or if you need a moment to get away from everything. The last time I went out there I saw this bird, I didn't know what kind it was but it just stayed there the whole time. I guess the animals enjoy going out there just as much as we do. It's a nice place to think, definetly. Yeah, my friend is going to UNF and they offer some of the same stuff that we have, but they dont live like right on a waterfront, or have some of the activities we have. I think we chose the right school, and I'm glad that we decided to go to the waterfront because it really is a great place to think,

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very fortunate to have a very nice place that is near your dorm to think. It all sounds very relaxing and makes me want to see your spot the next time I come over your dorm to visit. Do you bird watch? I don’t watch birds often, but when I see a bird I know, I want to look at it up close. I have allergies too and I sneeze really loud its embarrassing. Did you ever own fish before? I like to look at all kinds of fish, but of course I do not know all their names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, your observation sounded really professional - I felt like I was reading a book written by an experienced author(which is totally a good thing, haha). I really enjoyed the way you described your surroundings. You set the scene very well; it's almost like I was there with you. My favorite part of your observation was when you described the bug spray – I think we can all relate to this happening one point in our lives. Bug spray never stays in the areas one intends on spraying it. It usually ends up everywhere but there. Well anyway, great job on this observation. See you tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete